The Hahn Family Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

I'll always be your first baby

  I never got around to decorating the 'baby' room in our home. So the last month I started working on it. I decided to make new bedding, curtains and finally put up a mural type painting. When it's all done, I'll post pictures :)
 Last year we started selling things on Craigslist to raise money for our adoption plan. As I took the quilt, bedding and old curtains down, I figured I'd just list that, too. I hesitated. I had made all of it when I was pregnant with my first. And used it with both of them. I rationalized, it's just fabric, it'll just take up space in a closet. I sold it all to a lady in town. On my way home from dropping it off, I cried about the quilt. It's just a blanket! But I was remembering all the hopes and dreams and prayers I had for my baby while I was sewing that little crib quilt. I sheepishly told my husband about it. He told me to ask for it back if it means that much to me. No, no, it's fine.   And it really was.
  Since Sunday mornings can be rushed around here, I got to open my Mother's Day gifts the night before. First came a bag from Little Miss: a handmade necklace, sweet, love it! Then a small bag from U J: gift certificate for a haircut, aweSOME. Then another bag with a note, "I'll always be your first baby". Aww, that alone made me tear up a little. I opened the bag and pulled out that old, sweet quilt that had covered my babies every night for years. I couldn't even get words out, in fact a sob (or two...) escaped. My amazing husband knew where I had gone to sell the baby stuff and had stopped there on his way home that very night. He explained it to the kind and understanding lady and bought it back. Yes, it is just a blanket.
  Thank you Lord, for Your many blessings: for the gift of children and the role of mama, and for a husband who loves his bride as Christ loves His.  Ephesians 5:25 " Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her"

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful story. My kids blankets mean more to me then them. I could never give them up either!

    ReplyDelete